Queer Affirming Doula Carein Portland, Oregon
Families are made of love! And queer families often face challenges that require extra intention, creativity, resourcefulness, and planning. Let our doulas support your family with queer affirming doula care in Portland, Oregon.
What Is Queer Affirming Doula Care?
Doula care is all about having a trusted relationship with a birth professional who works just for you, helps ensure informed choice, and respects and celebrates your family each step of the way. Our Birth First Doulas services provide individualized emotional, informational, and physical support to families who feel they do not fit into the cis-hetero-monogamous-normative box. Queer-affirming doula care advocates for your family by placing extra emphasis on navigating medical systems and offering a counter-balance to the tendency for reproductive spaces to be heteronormative and strongly gendered. Queer inclusive doula care can look different depending on your family’s goals and the types of biases and assumptions you may face in birthing spaces. Our doulas can also help to locate resources and practitioners for a variety of services that are inclusive and affirming during pregnancy, birth, and postpartum. Everyone has the right to feel supported and respected as their family grows.
Queer-Inclusive Doula Care Focuses On:
- Understanding your family’s hopes, needs, and preferences.
- Learning about challenges or harms your family has faced or anticipates facing while working with medical providers and navigating reproductive spaces.
- Noticing and helping to interrupt microaggressions that queer families frequently face.
- Informing medical providers of who your partner is/partners are to avoid assumptions or harmful questions.
- Using the pronouns and vocabulary that you use.
- Redirecting providers who ask inappropriate questions about you, your family, or your conception story.
- Asking permission before touching and making sure informed consent actually happens.
- Providing trauma informed care.
- Focusing on safe, responsive, affirming treatment.